Dispose of Hazardous Materials

Residents can safely dispose of common, yet potentially hazardous household items in a variety of ways. View the different types of materials and how they can be disposed below. 

Household Hazardous Waste Amnesty Days

The Recycling and Solid Waste Division offers more convenient locations for the disposal of household hazardous waste during Hazardous Waste Amnesty Days, usually offered in November and April each year. Several "off-landfill" sites are provided throughout the county for residents who don’t live close to the permanent collection center at the Tomoka Landfill, located at 1990 Tomoka Farms Road in Port Orange. 

Motor oil

Used motor oil can be recycled and is a valuable resource. It takes less oil to produce a gallon of re-refined oil that it does to make a gallon from crude. Re-refined oil is used motor oil that undergoes an extensive re-refining process to remove contaminants to produce good-as-new base oil. The main difference between re-refined and virgin oil products is that re-refined represents the responsible choice for the environment. For more information about recycling motor oil, visit the Environmental Protection Agency’s Website.

Steps you can take to reduce motor oil from contaminating the environment:

  • Maintain your vehicles, repair oil leaks from engines and keep the engine in proper operating condition
  • Support businesses that help make oil recycling easy
  • Wash your car at car washing facilities that are connected to a wastewater treatment system
  • Avoid and report or contact utilities dispatch at (386) 671-8815 with any information about mobile car washing services that allows runoff into the city’s storm drains.
  • If you wash your car at home, do it in the yard and not on the driveway. This will allow the soil to filter out pollutants, protecting ground and surface water quality.

Where you can recycle locally:

Recycle your used oil at Volusia County’s igloo collection sites. Visit the drop off sites list for locations.

Old heating oil tanks

Thousands of rusting, deteriorating home fuel oil tanks have been left in the ground in Volusia County. These tanks often are filled with 10 to 250 gallons of old heating oil. One gallon of oil can pollute up to one million gallons of ground water. Volusia County’s Solid Waste Division will pump out left over heating oil from residential tanks for FREE. You can help to protect our water supply by calling Volusia County Solid Waste at (386) 257-6021.

Electronic waste recycling options

Recycle your old electronics or donate them to disabled or economically disadvantaged kids and adults in your community. Computers, cell phones, print cartridges, batteries and computer hardware can also be recycled.

Lead acid batteries

Batteries such as those used in automobiles are banned from landfill disposal. By law, retail outlets which supply batteries must accept your old one for recycling. You also may bring the battery to the household hazardous waste facility at the Tomoka Landfill. You may also do a local search at Earth911 for all other types of battery disposal locations. For any other recycling or disposal questions, please contact Volusia County’s Recycling and Solid Waste Division at (386)257-6021.

Gasoline, paints, thinners/solvents, pool chemicals

These and similar materials cannot be disposed in your garbage because they are harmful to the environment. Volusia County residents may dispose of household hazardous waste at the Household Hazardous Waste Facility at the Tomoka Landfill located at 1900 Tomoka Farms Road. You may also do a local search at Earth911.

Paint exchange

The Tomoka Landfill provides a non-commercial paint exchange facility for residents of Volusia County. An average of 300 gallons of paint are recycled through this facility each month. This facility provides paint to non-commercial and non-profit organizations as available. Please contact the Tomoka Landfill for more details at (386) 947-2952.

Needles and diabetic-testing strips

The Volusia County Health Department provides a sharps program for users of insulin and other injectable medications.